Meet the basic rights of the child through consulting with children.
Duration: full day
Who should attend: all childcare practitioners
What will I learn?
- Consulting with children helps give children a voice and ownership of what they involved in. It raises self-esteem and confidence and supports a process of learning and discovery. Practitioners attending this course will learn effective techniques for consulting with children.
- Key topics
- Key legislation in relation to consulting with children – UN Articles 12 and 13/ Children (Scotland) Act 1995/ Children & Young People (Scotland) Act 2014
- Consider what we mean by ‘consulting with children’
- Identify why we need to consult
- Understand the skills needed for active listening
- Develop ideas and skills for consulting with non-verbal children
- Explore Hart’s Ladder of Participation and consider this against their own practice
- Discuss the Thomas Coram Research.